Liquid Nitrogen Production and Distribution Unit
This unit provides a framework for production, access and distribution of liquid nitrogen. With collective effort from; specialized plant operators, mechanics, electricians, technicians, infrastructure and applied biosecurity the set goals of the Liquid Nitrogen and Distribution unit are achieved.
NAGRC&DB has three liquid nitrogen production plants; located at the National Bull Stud in Entebbe with a production capacity of 80 litres per hour, while the other plants are located at Njeru Stock Farm in Buikwe District and at MbaZardi in Mbarara with production capacities of 5 litres per hour each.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industries and Fisheries
- Farmers and breeder associations
- AI technicians, researchers, extension workers
- Private partners have easy access to the AI inputs (semen, liquid nitrogen, sheaths, arm length gloves) which are available at all the different liquid nitrogen plant stations or storage facilities.
Key Strategic interventions
The Agricultural Value Chain Development Program (AVCP-1) under the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) has supported NAGRC&DB and enabled the following interventions;
- There has been an increase and strengthening in regional storage capacity and distribution of liquid nitrogen and Artificial Insemination (AI) inputs (semen, liquid nitrogen, sheaths, arm length gloves).
- 06 storage cylinders with a holding capacity of up to 600 litres of liquid nitrogen have been set up to provide continuous supply and wider range of distribution of AI inputs to the farmers, AI technicians and private partners, researchers etc. The storage cylinders are located at the district veterinary offices in Luwero, Gulu districts and the National Bull Stud in Entebbe, Njeru stock farm in Buikwe district, MbaZardi in Mbarara, Rubona stock farm in Bunyangabo district.
- NAGRC&DB periodically, carries out training of AI technicians; The courses may cost up UGX 1,650,000 for a period of three weeks. Upon successful completion of the AI courses, trainees are awarded certificates.
- Internship programs are also offered to university students on the government farms. Also, available are student tours and one-day trainings for university and secondary students in assisted reproductive technologies.
Production, procurement and sale of liquid nitrogen and associated equipment at NAGRC&DB
Liquid Nitrogen storage facility in Gulu