The National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and Data Bank (NAGRC&DB) was established by the Animal Breeding Act, 2001. It’s one of the statutory semi-autonomous bodies of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF). Formation of NAGRC&DB was part of the fulfilment of the aspirations in the National Animal Breeding Policy (1997), document and the Action Plan for its implementation providing guidelines to all actors in the animal breeding and production value-chain.
Specifically, the commercial activities included:
- Availing for sale semen, eggs, ova, embryos and associated equipment;
- Management of farms for production, selection and sale of superior dams and sires;
- Rearing of sire studs for production and sale of semen;
- Production and sale of liquid nitrogen and associated equipment;
- Production and sale of founder brood stock of fisheries resources;
- Offer for sale properly bred stock through pathways such as open nucleus schemes;
- Procurement and sale of other breeding and reproduction equipment.
While the development activities included:
- Servicing as National Animal Genetic Data Bank;
- Serving as National Central Livestock Registry;
- Serving as the National Animal Genetic Resources Evaluation Centre and Laboratory;
- Serving as a national gene depository and examination Centre for Genetic materials;
- Quarantine and evaluation of imported genetic materials;
- Offering specialized training to technicians dealing in animal breeding;
- Training of staff and farmers in aspects of animal, poultry and fish breeding;
- Collaboration in animal breeding and production environments research;
- Encouraging the formation of breeder and breed organizations;
- Providing guidance in breeding and multiplication of improved breeds;
- Promotion of herd-recording, and performance testing on farms;
- Promotion of natural mating especially in areas where Artificial insemination is not available;
- Developing breeding extension guidelines for farmers and extension workers.
A leader in profitable production and efficient delivery of animal genetic resources and services in Eastern Africa.Semen production and processing at NAGRC&DB
To establish a comprehensive and sustainable National Animal Breeding Programme which meets the commercial and developmental interests of the actors along the livestock sub-sector value chains.
To contribute to the transformation of the agricultural sector by enhancing sustainable livestock productivity through conservation and improvement of animal genetic resource.
- Excellence: All functions of NAGRC&DB are oriented towards production of the best quality products and delivery of fast and efficient services as demanded by the farmers/customers. Excellence also implies the promotion of a culture that believes that only the best is good enough in all areas that govern the organizational outputs.
- Professionalism: NAGRC&DB staff is committed to have the application of specialized knowledge and skills in accordance to the ethical requirements and established standards that govern each profession.
Sustainable development & social responsibility: NAGRC&DB recognizes the importance of protecting the environment for sustainable production. The Centre addresses environmental issues responsibly. The Centre to the best of its ability, embraces appropriate innovations and the latest technological developments to benefit the farming community and other stakeholders in the country.
- Public trust and honesty: NAGRC&DB has instituted policies, rules, and procedures to promote public trust through sound financial management, accurate reporting, and excellent customer service at all times.Client service and satisfaction: Client needs receive timely, responsive, proactive tailor made solutions to meet their needs.
- Team work: For optimum productivity and output, NAGRC&DB cherishes and upholds the spirit of team work at all levels between staff, management, the Board and other collaborating institutions.